The MySQL databases are available for web hosting, with the ability to set up any number of them. However, you are limited by space – the database must not exceed 1GB (2GB for EXTRA).
- number of databases is not limited – it possible to establish multiple databases for different needs
- total space for database: 1 GB (2 GB for EXTRA) *
- MySQL ver.: 5.6.12, 5.5.30 and 5.1.55
- Engines: MyISAM, InnoDB, Archive, Heap (Memory)
- The default character set: UTF-8
- supported by all available character sets
- management via phpMyAdmin interface
- from PHP modules it is possible to connect via mysql, mysqli or object-oriented interface PDO
- on-line establishment possible in the customer center (in detail with the particular web hosting)
- the database is accessible only from the web hosting, for safety reasons, it is not possible to connect from an external source (not even from VPS or our dedicated servers)
* 1 GB (or. 2 GB) is the largest possible space that can be used for the database on web hosting. This space cannot be increased for an additional fee. In the case of higher requirements, we recommend to order a VPS – the customer is not so limited and can operate databases of any size and can connect to it from anywhere)
Creating and using databases
When you establishing a web hosting, a database is not automatically created. To create it follow the following instructions:
- Log into your account in the customer center
- Select the tab webhosting
- Open the detail of a particular web hosting
- In the left menu, click on the link New Database
- Name the database as you need (max. 7 chars) and press the create button.
- Within a few minutes a database will be established, login information will be sent via email.
When entering data to the database in your PHP application, make sure that you correctly enter the following four pieces of data (listed in the e-mail with information about the establishment of the database):
- database server name – never IS localhost, always in a version as wmX.wedos.net
- database name
- password (watch out for any spaces before or after the password)
User accounts for access to the database
When establishing a MySQL database, you will receive login details for two users:
- User admin (username begins with “a“) has full rights to the database, is primarily used to manage the database via phpMyAdmin – creating tables, setting indexes, etc. This user should not be used to connect to MySQL from PHP.
- User web (username begins with “w“) has limited rights, may work with the data, but does not change the structure of tables. Use this user to connect to the database from PHP.
Each database has these 2 users fixed. Other users can not be created or assigned other permissions.
More information about MySQL – database permissions
Database Management, Remote Access
The MySQL database can be managed via web interface phpMyAdmin – here you can create and edit tables, data and export and import data.
You can access to databases only from that web interface and web hosting servers. Databases are not accessible from the outside or from other servers and this access cannot be granted.
Changing the password
For each database user, the password can be changed. You can do this through the customer center – open the detail of a particular web hosting, in the list of databases select a specific database, open its detail and there you will see a form for the password change. The change takes effect immediately.
Deleting a database
In the customer center in detail of the specific database, you can also delete the database.
Deleting of a database guarantees its complete and irreversible removal, including all data that it contains.
Any recovery from backup is paid according to the current price list.
CAUTION: After deletion, it will not be possible to create a database with the same name!
Backup of databases
Databases are backed up once per week.
These backups are not accessible to customers and are not intended to restore at regular customer requests. It is mainly for us, in case of failure of server or disk array.
We strongly recommend our customers to carry out their own backups in case of erasure or accidental removals of data. You can perform backups by export in phpMyAdmin.
Restoring from a backup at the request of the customer is charged at 600 CZK.
more information at: Webhosting backup